Is fish pie a pie? This is one question that many people have asked, and it is a valid question. The answer, however, is not so clear-cut, some believe it is because it is made in a pan, while others believe it falls under its own category.
So is fish pie a pie? Fish pie is most certainly not a pie in the traditional sense. It is not made in a pie dish, and it does not have a pastry crust. However, it is made in a pan, and it does have a topping of mashed potatoes.
It is made with fish, such as cod or haddock, and with vegetables, such as carrots, peas, and onions. The potatoes are mashed and then spread on top of the fish mixture.
No, Fish Pie Is Not a Pie
Fish pie is not a pie. What is pie?
A pie is a type of pastry that is made from flour, fat, water, and salt. It is then rolled out and placed in a pie dish. The filling, which can be sweet or savory, is then put in the middle of the pastry.
On the other hand, fish pie is made from fish, potatoes, and milk or cream. First, the fish and potatoes are mashed together and then placed in a pie dish. The milk or cream is then poured over the top of the fish and potatoes.
It is then baked in the oven until it is golden brown and bubbling.
So, no, a fish pie is not a pie.
Why Is A Fish Pie Called A Pie?
“A fish pie is a pie with fish inside it. Sometimes there’s also mashed potato on top” (British English) or “mashed potatoes on top” (American English). So is fish pie a pie? A fish pie is most definitely a pie, but calling it ‘pie’ isn’t correct. …
Also, fish pie is not always called pie in British English.
A fish pie is a dish consisting of filleted white fish, covered by sliced potato and baked in the oven. The sauce may be made up of milk, cream, cheese, or egg yolk.
Whether you call it a fish pie or a fish casserole, one thing’s for sure: it’s delicious!”
What Is Fish Pie Made Of?
Fish pie is made of white fish, typically cod or haddock, mixed with mashed potato and baked to form a pie. Some recipes also include broccoli and cheese.
How to make a fish pie?
- 1 lb. cod or haddock, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4-6 boiled potatoes, cooled and mashed
Step #1: Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step #2: In a skillet, melt butter on medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until combined. Pour in milk gradually while stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until melted completely—season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step #3: In a large bowl, combine cubed fish, broccoli florets, and sauce from step 2. Pour mixture into an ungreased 9″ pie plate.
Step #4: Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the fish mixture, using a fork to make peaks and ridges—Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Now you have a delicious and nutritious fish pie that the whole family can enjoy!
What Goes With Fish Pie?
There are many side dishes that go well with fish pie. Here are some popular choices:
- Boiled carrots
- Mashed potatoes
Fish pie is best served with vegetables because it provides a flavorful balance to the dish. However, if you are looking for something lighter, try serving your fish pie with salad or soup!
Why Does My Fish Pie Go Watery?
There are a few reasons why your fish pie might turn watery.
- Fish is not cooked throughly – One common reason for a watery fish pie is that the fish was not cooked thoroughly. Make sure to cook your fish cubes until they are opaque and flake easily with a fork.
- The sauce is too thin – If your sauce is too thin, it will likely run off the fish and potatoes and make your pie watery. To avoid this, make sure that your sauce thickens properly and coats all ingredients evenly.
- The potatoes are too soft – If the mashed potatoes are too soft after boiling, they will mix with the fish and water from the sauce to create a watery texture when baked.
These are some common reasons why your fish pie might turn watery.
How Long Does Fish Pie Last Once Cooked?
When properly stored, fish pie can last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. To avoid a soggy pie, be sure to place it in an airtight container and store it on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator.
How Do You Reheat Frozen Fish Pie?
There are a few different ways to reheat the frozen fish pie.
- Oven – To heat your frozen fish pie in the oven, place it on a baking sheet and heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Microwave – If you prefer to use the microwave to reheat your pie, place it on a microwave-safe dish and heat it on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Stovetop – Another option is to reheat your frozen fish pie on the stovetop. Place it in a pan and heat over medium-high heat until warmed through.
Each of these methods will result in a delicious and piping hot fish pie!
Is Fish Pie Fattening?
Fish pie is not typically associated with being fattening. In fact, it is a very healthy meal that can easily be incorporated into a balanced diet.
Even though fish pie does contain cheese and cream, this dish only averages around 360 calories per serving!
Fish also provides plenty of protein for your body to use as energy throughout the day.
So if you’re looking for a dish to serve your family that won’t leave them feeling exhausted and weighed down, give the fish pie a try!
In conclusion, Fish pie is not a pie. It is a dish made of fish and vegetables covered in mashed potatoes. It is a healthy, delicious, and affordable meal that the whole family can enjoy!